A subsequent teaching position at the University of Central Asia (UCA) is possible. The UCA is located in the towns of Naryn (Kyrgyzstan), Tekeli (Kazakhstan) and Khorog (Tajikistan). The UCA is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network and aims to be a promoter of an intellectual and economic transformation in Central Asia, particularly its mountain communities, by providing an internalltionally recognised standard of higher education.
Who can apply?
What can be funded?
a) as an individual project under the supervision of an university professor/teacher
b) as participant in a structured doctoral study programme.
Duration of the funding
- a maximum of four years
- Grants are initially awarded for a maximum of one year. Extensions depend on whether the selection committee considers the previous award period to have been successfully completed.
- monthly payments of 1,200 Euro
- payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- travel allowances
- on a yearly basis: research allowance
Under certain circumstances, grant holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- monthly rent subsidy
- monthly allowance for accompanying family members
To enable grant holders to improve their language skills in preparation for their stay in Germany, the grant includes the following service:
- Language course (2 months) before the start of the research stay
- Academic Qualification (documented by university degree certificates and academic references)
- Academic achievements and duration of studies
- If applicable, academic achievements after graduation (e.g. publications, lectures, conference contributions)
- Quality of the research project (documented by presentation of research project, time plan, references, proof of contacts, if applicable: language certificates)
- Quality of research project presentation and preliminary work
- Originality, topicality and relevance of the project
- Reasons for choosing the host institution
- Feasibility and consistency of work schedule and work plan (analysis and evaluation steps)
What requirements must be met?
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form
- List of publications (if applicable)
- Extensive and detailed description of the research proposal and a description of previous research work (max. 10 pages), including schedule of planned research work
- Diploma or degree certificate indicating final grade(s): the certificate must be subsequently submitted before the grant-supported research begins if it is not available at the time of application. In this case submission of an up-to-date transcript of records is required.
- Other documents which support your application (for example certificates of employment, proof of practical training/internships etc.)
- Proof of language skills corresponding to the requirements of the host institution
- German or English translations of documents submitted in the national language
In the case of individual projects supervised by a university teacher:
- Letter confirming supervision by a university teacher in Germany relating to the planned research project
- Letter of admission to a study programme (this can be subsequently submitted before the grant-supported research begins if it is not available at the time of application) and proof of existing contacts to the coordinator of the doctoral programme in the form of copies of correspondence
- Proof of permanent residence in the region of Gilgit-Baltistan or in Chitral district
To be submitted by post:
One recent reference from a university teacher which provides information about your qualifications (hand-signed, no digital or scanned signature) has to be sent to DAAD Information Center in Bishkek.
DAAD Information Center Bischkek
Ul. Isanova 143/1
Information and advisory centres
Ul. Isanova 143/1
+996 (312) 32 39 48
General information on the application via DAAD portal
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Request references
The form, which has to be completed by a referee, has to be generated in the DAAD portal in the section "Request reference" after registration and downloaded. Please send the form by e-mail to your referee and ask for the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope. In each case, please provide your referee with the application address thus enabling him/her to send the recommendation letter there direct.
Please note that the form for completion by a referee can only be generated during the application period (from about 6 weeks before the application deadline).
Please generate one form for each referee.
The reference is confidential and may not be viewed by the applicant!
3. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
4. Sending application documents by post
References must be sent in the unopened envelope to the application location.
Information for applicants from non-EU countries:
Please remember to specify the exact contents of your postal consignment in the documents for the customs authorities, e.g. "Application for a scholarship with application documents, a reference and a DVD with work samples (no commercial goods, no merchandise value, no insurable value)".
If you have any technical questions or problems your local information and advice centres could not help you with, please do not hesitate to contact our technical Portal hotline: +49 (0228) 882-8888 or via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, open every weekday from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm and from 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (CET).
Please consider this when you are planning your application.